30 January 2007

Decision #1: Location


One of the first things my fiancé and I agreed on when we began wedding planning was the kind of venue we wanted. Country clubs, plantations, and hotels were definitely out. This narrowed our choices to houses and gardens.

The first time we saw Hendry House we were unable to actually go inside the house. But we walked around the grounds and peeked into the windows. We liked it enough to come back for more. We fell even more in love with the house when we had a walk through with Sharon, the site coordinator. The grounds, the house and it's locale were perfect. Arlington is, after all, one of Dave's great loves - after me, orange juice and Formula 1. But since it was only the second venue we looked at we had to prove to ourselves that the location was the one. The next weekends were spent visiting and reviewing other houses and locations: AHS River Farm, Woodend, Stone Mansion, Cabell's Mill, Strathmore Hall, and Brookside Gardens.

We put temporary holds on the top contenders. We carefully weighed our options - discussing each venues' beauty and flaws. But what helped me decide was when I closed my eyes and imagined my wedding in each of the contenders. After that it was clear that Hendry was the location for us. We called Sharon to reserve our date.

One down, 100+ more decisions to make...

No comments: